Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColinKyo Bagpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColinKyo Bagpipes

This past weekend I had the opportunity to meet Murray Huggins and play his ColinKyo Blackwood pipes with both the blackwood and derlin chanters. What a treat!!! Low A was right on 478. Saturday the weather was above 50 F with no rain and the pipes stayed close all day. Sunday with the rain they settled in at 476. The hole placement on both chanters were extremely comfortable. The drone sound was well rounded. The look of the bagpipe was very nice. In my eyes the workmanship was top grade. Murray brought 14 chanters to our band with no formal commitment to purchase them. At the end of the day on Sunday he caught the plane for Oregon but his 14 chanters had found new homes in Wisconsin.

Anyone else using ColinKyo pipes and chanters? If not have fun give them a serious look.

Re: ColinKyo Bagpipes

I currently play on a set of Colin Kyo's. I've only met Mr.Huggins a couple times, when our rag-tag NorCal band needed some help, but my teacher insisted that I went with Huggin's product when I first started. Even though I've only played on a couple other makes (namely some Shepards, Gibsons, and an old Nails), I can safely say that Colin Kyo has evolved into a superior set of pipes.

I realize some of Huggin's designs may be a little radical for those veteran players out there (eg use of deleran, reverse-flap drone reeds, pitched brightly), but from what I have observed, they've only make the instument better. Specifically, they are the perfect set for a solo preformer. And, with time, will be the paragon of band piping.

Until the bagpipes becomes an affluent form of music, we as players are going to have to tolerate some changes to our instrument, for it's not in it's perfected form. We need to modernize the traditional.

With that, I think that the Colin Kyo Bagpipes are in the front, inovating our instument for our era.
    Cheers

Comment

It's great to see some discussion about Murray's pipes here. I've known Murray for almost 12 years, fantastic musician and an outstanding instrument maker.
      I have a blackwood Colin Kyo chanter in my collection that is about two years old. Very nice chanter, his workmanship is superb. I just ordered a chanter from him today. Blackwood with a mastodon ivory sole to go with my 1915 J & R Glen drones.
      Murray's drones are awesome.
      - Jonathan Adams

Comment

Dude, mastodon ivory? Holy cr... you luck... how did you... ?

About Huggin's "workmanship". When I got my pipes (pushing 4 years now), he was opperating solely in his garage with made-from-scratch setups. He made just as good of pipes then, but it was cost inefficent and time consuming. Now, he's expanded into a devoted shop and has perfected his machining techniques and streamlined his assembly line. The Colin Kyo pipes (I foresee) will become a bigger name in piping soon.
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Loin:
          Dude, mastodon ivory? Holy cr... you luck... how did you... ?

Actually he does mamoth/mastodon ivory upon request now. Check his new website;
          http://www.colinkyobagpipes.com/

This will be my new solo chanter and I wanted the real ivory to compliment the ivory on my drones.

<snip>
          The Colin Kyo pipes (I foresee) will become a bigger name in piping soon. [/QB]
          I hope so. I will certainly share some pix of my new chanter when it arrives.
          - Jonathan Adams

Comment

For those of you who are interested, Murray has finished my new chanter and I should have my hands on it in a few days. I will be posting pictures.

He's very pleased with how the chanter turned out, says the ivory sole is beautiful and the tone and balance are excelent.
            He sends his chanters out reeded and ready to play. Comes with a reed cap and he's sending along a set of his own Colin Kyo drone reeds. I am a die hard "cane and sheepskin" type, but I do look forward to trying out his reeds.

Stay tuned...
            - Jonathan Adams

Comment

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but "good authority" does not know whence he speaks, IMHO. Murray is a very modest man, not one to blow his own horn. Or, in this case, own pipes. As to whether or not he apprenticed to someone for only six months, someone unknown in the pipe making world, could not say. Information as to whom he has apprenticed with is very openly covered in the web site.
              Aside from these points, Murray makes a most excellent set of pipes and related accessories.
              His pipes are a true joy to listen to and enjoy, as recently as last evening.
              Aside from his immediate family, some 8 others enjoyed a bit of an impromptu concert at that time.
              And, Mr. Drew, you are very welcome to come, meet Murray, observe his operations in his shop and listen to the music his pipes send forth, whenever you can make it down to Southern Oregon.
              Contact information is listed very clearly in the web site.
              In fact, anyone wanting to do that very same thing, is welcome to make contact with Murray and arrange a visit.

www.colinkyobagpipes.
              "Only changed your underwear twice, while practicing, afor judging, eh??? Tha's nae good enough, then, laddie!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Bad Piper:
                Not to hijack the thread or anything [/URL]
                I think you're too late.

Interesting that the advertorial puffs are left and the challenge to them is removed - is this guy a forum sponsor?

Scratch

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher:

Interesting that the advertorial puffs are left and the challenge to them is removed ......
                  OK... I'll invest some keyboard time...

The removal was not based on removing a challenge, per se...

but because it fell under the category of rumour (citing "anonymous" source) and gossip.... against forum rules, cited as follows"

"2 Malicious rumours, scurrilous posts, or insulting gossip about products, organizations, or people will not be permitted. ..."

Please keep the comments on topic.... attempt to debate about the removals falls under another rule.

"11 Do not post questions or comments relating to the appropriateness of another member's post. Do not post questions or comments about the moderating of the bobdunsire.com forums...."

cheers

"THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:
                  1) You believe in Santa Claus.
                  2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
                  3) You are Santa Claus.
                  4) You look like Santa Claus."
                  -- These words of wisdom passed along from Charles LeBer.

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper ( [email protected] )
                  <|;|-)

Comment

Interesting that the advertorial puffs are left and the challenge to them is removed
                    I'm not exactly sure what your driving at there, but I think I get your meaning.

Please let me point out that those of us on this thread who are promoting Murray Huggins pipes do so because we *want* to. We own, or have tried his instruments and believe they are worth telling others about. Murray has nothing to do with this "conversation".
                    There are of course many great pipe makers out there right now and all of their products have merrit. When choosing an instrument one has to decide what sound they like, what design pleases them, etc.
                    True, Murray has not been making pipes as long as many others (yet), but they all started somewhere.

is this guy a forum sponsor?
                    [/QB]
                    Who Murray?! A Forum sponsor? Absolutly not.
                    - Jonathan Adams

Comment

No, Murray is not a forum sponsor. He is just a guy, doing something he feels so deeply passionate about: creating great musical instruments. As has been said, those of us here who support him, his work, do so because we believe in him, his efforts. And, as always, much as I dislike cliches, the proof of the pudding is still very much in the eating.

www.colinkyobagpipes.com
                      "Only changed your underwear twice, while practicing, afor judging, eh??? Tha's nae good enough, then, laddie!"

Comment

I must've missed it... someone said something not-too-polite? Oh well.

I think it's about time Mr. Huggins recieved the recognition he's due! I've played on his Colin Kyo bagpipes for four years now, and I do not think I can ever play any other. I agree with Sir Loin in thinking that the Colin Kyo Bagpipe are now, and will be, the paragon of professional bagpipes.

Comment

I don't think I was too impolite. I did say that I am sure he makes a good product, and that I was looking forward to seeing it myself.. I think mainly I was more pointing out the obvious, that a lot of the word of mouth here seems a bit like an advertisement, especially when the main poster on here has a link to Murray's website on his signature line. Come on... Ralph Drew

Comment

Originally posted by ralph:
                            a lot of the word of mouth here seems a bit like an advertisement
                            C'mon get real.
                            It's a commercial world we live in.

Have you noticed a prolific poster who Appears to be able to mention in moderate tones at every post how it hAppens that Apparticular brand of reeds are the best thing since sliced bread and Appropriate for any age or make of chanter and that everyone should Apply this Approach to reeding all their pipes?

Scratch

Comment

Guys....c'mon, I mean, let's start with a foundation of trust instead of suspicion. Geeee-whiz...some people can drive a good man to the drink.

On another note...I wonder why he named the pipes Colin Kyo?

Comment

Working...
                              X