Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peterson BodyBeat Metronome???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peterson BodyBeat Metronome???

Has anyone tried it??? Body Beat Metronome

Apparently it zaps you with an electric shock, a wee cell phone type vibe action or somesuch for each beat.

It is supposed to be more effective than the annoying clickety click sound, and/or being hypnotized watching a pendulum.

It would conceivably mount / tuck away into the left hose top.. the idea being that you are on the left foot when you get zapped.

It could be mounted to a Problem Students head.. in luau of smacking a beat on their head with a practice chanter.

Re: Peterson BodyBeat Metronome???

Recharging! Clear!

Comment

Wouldn't be prudent - My coworkers are into capacitors and fly transformers.
      TuxedoPark

Comment

I finally got one of these nifty gadgets. It works great!!

The clip on vibrator thingie is placed on your belt against your body. The vibration is fairly intense. It sends a pulse for each beat.

You select how many beats per minute, how many beats you want per bar, and what sort of note groupings you want. For example dot cut, triplets etc.

Way more effective than the annoying clickity clack noise, and way more flexible/programmable.

Comment

At $99 or so, that's a lot of coin for 'just a metronome'

Is it really that much of a difference?

Stuart

Comment

I hope it comes with a warning for folks with pacemakers!:-)

Comment

Rojellio, where did you get it? I can't see how to order it from the Peterson website above.
              The Doctor . . . said very drolly, "And pray, Sir, who is Bach? Is he a piper?" Dr. Johnson and Frances Burney (1912)

Comment

At $99 or so, that's a lot of coin for 'just a metronome' hmmm Is it really that much of a difference?
                The "just a metronome" variety delivers a clickity clackity, chirp and whatnot sound. {This does have a headphone jack, for those that enjoy that too} The Body Beat "zaps" you with each beat. There isnt anything else on the market like it.. so its really hard to compare the involved coinage.

I am not inclined to the old timey metronomes and chirping electronic variants, so much so that I didnt ever make it out of a music store with one. I found the click sound, and/or watching a pendulum too annoying. With the Body beat, it is not annoying.. but it is there, and you are aware of it.

The feature of selecting how many beats per bar, and the emphasis is to my knowledge a new and unique feature. It will "zap out" a Dot cut, cut dot, or triplets and a couple other variants of typical note patterns if you like.

I tested it out while playing Pipes {indoors}, I dont know for sure.. but I am guessing the average everyday metronome would have disappeared. I did notice a difference in my playing, and it wasnt too distractive or bothersome. Keeping a perfect beat, steady timing etc. is admittedly not my strongest feature. Hence the extreme coinage laid out, for a corrective action gameplan. I fully intend to use this thing whenever I practice.

Conceivably one could utilize it while performing, it is fairly discrete. So.. Judges be on the lookout for Pipers with a suspicious drone buzz oddly in time with what the Piper should be playing. And yes... you could concievably duct tape the vibe capsule to a problem students head, or for that matter put it anywhere you like.

I got it from ZZSounds, Next Day or one of the other big box internet music stores. Most of these have money back guarantees if you dont like the product.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojellio
                  The feature of selecting how many beats per bar, and the emphasis is to my knowledge a new and unique feature. It will "zap out" a Dot cut, cut dot, or triplets and a couple other variants of typical note patterns if you like.
                  McAdams metronomes will do those patterns. The Dr. Beat metronomes have even more patterns available. The McAdams metronomes are loud enough that you can hear them over a pipe band, but they cost a lot more, too. They sound like claves.

The Body Beat sounds like it would be handy. Does it seem durable? Peterson seems to make some really nice products.

Comment

My wife and I used to joke that someone should invent a rectal metronome for voice majors, especially the diva types. Never got around to the design stage, but a jolt of electricity would probably have worked. We were thinking more along the lines of something that would alternately expand and contract to produce an unmistakable throb.
                    Southern by birth, Virginian by the grace of the Almighty!

Comment

Oh...I thought you meant that you could use it to force a higher note from your divas. Never mind. ;-}

Comment

I wonder how much you have to sweat before it "REALLY" shocks you!

I can't help imagining a piper trying to play through his march but his whole body shakes from the shock with each downbeat...
                        Piping IS Life

Comment

The Body Beat sounds like it would be handy. Does it seem durable? Peterson seems to make some really nice products.
                          It seems durable enough. Probably more so than half the cell phones out there... considering cell phones are barely rugged/durable enough for Runway Models.

Comment

Sounds interesting. I've just ordered one. (Yeah, even though I initially called it 'just a metronome' )

Thanks for the pointer Rojellio

Stuart

Comment

Hmm, do they make a band model, with one central unit and a shock collar for the PM, DS, and bass?

Will flourish for food

Comment

Working...
                              X